Pages

Wednesday 24 July 2013

Building Wargame Terrain

As you may have noticed, I'm a little short on terrain to make photos interesting. Unlike the lightbox, this isn't because I've packed it all... I just don't own any. I know, right? What sort of person doesn't own terrain?! I've built some terrain in the past, but not since I was a weekend slave at GW back in '96(ish)... which seems like an absolute age ago.

Once we're in the new house, this is one of the things I intend to fix fairly sharpish. In preparation for this I've bought Tony Harwood's book [url=http://dampfpanzerwagon.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/building-wargame-terrain-by-tony-harwood.html]Building Wargame Terrain[/url]. I've been reading Tony's site for a while and thought the book would be as good a starting point to reacquaint myself with it all.

Anyway, the book arrived exceedingly promptly, nicely wrapped and boxed. I've not had the chance to read it all yet, but the first few chapters will certainly be useful with walls, fences and trees covered in great detail. The chatty writing style, combined with the large number of clear photos makes for an easy read that will hopefully be as easy to follow when it comes to actually constructing some of these things.

While the buildings towards the end of the book are unlikely to be things I'll build, the lessons will certainly be useful as I try to fumble through building more interactive buildings. As has been pointed out in other reviews, it is just as much an inspirational book than a straight forward guide as you're shown the evolution of techniques and plans as each model progresses. Well worth buying if you get the chance. Given that I've got book number 75/100, I'd hurry if I were you :)

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for the review.

    I'm pleased that you found it useful.

    Tony

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry it's not a great review, I ran out of time before having to get back to work... but the book is well worth it, thanks for taking the time to write it all down :)

      Delete
  2. Looking forward to receiving mine now.

    ReplyDelete